Saturday, October 3, 2009

Spiritual Mothering: Chapter 2

This is the second post in a series of a study on the book Spiritual Mothering. It is hosted by Joanne Heim at The Simple Wife.


1. In the first short section of chapter 2, Hunt talks about the second-pivotal principle of spiritual mothering: that our life-purpose is to glorify God. The driving force of any spiritual mothering relationship is not the relationship, but God's glory. How does this alter/change/influence/affect what you've thought so far about this topic? Does it change how you perceive this kind of mentoring? If so, how?
It reminds me of the vertical relationship with God that should always be at the core of any relationship that I have.

2. Much of the chapter examines Mary. "I fear that too often we do not hold Mary up as an example, because we are overcompensating for some who have elevated her above humanity. This robs us of one of the most beautiful examples of faith found in Scripture...In Mary we do see a woman who embraced God's glory as her reason for being and translated that into her experience" (page 26). What struck you fresh about Mary's story after reading this chapter? 
What struck me was that she seemed to be so filled with purpose and certainty in what she was doing for the Kingdom. Luke 2:19 has been favorite verse of mine for years, "But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart." She did not put herself in a position of authority or prestige; she submitted to God and focused on what was important.

3. Hunt made a couple of statements about Mary's response to the angel:
"This young woman handled the situation without her brain or her emotions being scrambled" (page 27).
"This was no emotional reaction but rather a deliberate and logical response based upon the character and promises of God" (page 28).
How do these statements compare to how you typically respond to something? Are you more on the side of being scrambled, or more deliberate and logical?

In my normal state of mind, I would say that I am fairly logical and relatively laid back. However, since I have bipolar disorder, I have periods of time that I am pretty emotional. I don't like that I respond so emotionally during those times but I am learning to cope with it.

How does/should having a life-purpose of glorifying God and an identity of being the Lord's servant affect our response any kind of situation?
We can trust that God is in control and will direct situations to glorify Him. That realization should calm our hearts and minds.

4. On page 32, Hunt distinguishes between confidence based on our identity in Christ and self-confidence. How do you see these as being different?
Christ never changes. He is eternal. The Bible is not based on feelings. If my identity is based in those truths, I don't have to worry about my changing emotions. Self-confidence is about trying to find equilibrium in myself and I've never been able to do that.

5. If you had to pick a sentence or a phrase from this chapter to write on your bathroom mirror to see each and every day, what would you pick? Why?
"Mary could adjust to...extremes in her life because she saw them from them the vantage point of obeying God's will, not from the perspective of her expectations or preferences."
I definitely have extremes in my life and lately I have had a tendency to look at situations from my own perspective instead of God's. This quote would be a good reminder to refocus.

1 comments:

Joanne (The Simple Wife) said...

Dear Ginger,

I loved your answers to #4 and #5 so much. That Christ never changes means our confidence is secure, based on truth, rather than emotion.

This is something that Toben and I spent a lot of time talking about yesterday--the truth vs. feelings. It seems they are rarely lined up and we must choose which one to follow and which one we'll use to base our decisions.

Much love,

Joanne