Monday, March 9, 2009

Memory Monday: Jeremiah 9:23-24


It is Memory Monday, hosted by Joanne at The Simple Wife. Each week, she memorizes a passage & then types it out by memory. I must admit, I had to go back & fix some bits & pieces after typing out the following:

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak to shame the strong; God chose what is low & despised in the world, even things that are not to bring to nothing things that are so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of Him you are in Christ, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness & sanctification & redemption, so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord." 1 Corinthians 1:26-31

For this week, I looked up the quote at the end of the 1 Corinthians passage & found this:
Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.”Jeremiah 9:23-24

I generally don't tend to be a boastful person, but there are definitely times that I rely on my own devices. How much better to truly understand & rest in the Lord's gracious love. How I want to be a delight to Him!

2 comments:

Lora said...

May the cry of my heart be to understand and know the Lord. I want to rest in His love too!

Joanne (The Simple Wife) said...

Delight always makes me think of Zephaniah 3:17, about God rejoicing over us with singing and taking "great" delight in us. And then, of course, there's the part about him being with us and being mighty to save.

Joanne