Monday, March 2, 2009

Memory Monday: 1 Corinthians 1:26-31


Memory Monday is hosted by Joanne at The Simple Wife. "Each Monday my goal is to pick a verse or passage to memorize for the upcoming week. And the next Monday, I'll type it out BY MEMORY and choose another one." Click the button above for more details.

My passage for this week...

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
1 Corinthians 1:26-31

Can I be perfectly honest? I don't like the idea of being foolish in the eyes of the world. I hate being made fun of--it hurts. I do not like to be seen as weak by those who don't know me. And for goodness' sake, who wants to be despised? Then I remember: Jesus was "despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief," Isaiah 53:3. Wow. How humbling that is for me.

2 comments:

Lora said...

I'm so thankful the Lord views my resume differently from the way the world does. His ways are so opposite of the worlds.

Welcome to Memory Monday.

Joanne (The Simple Wife) said...

I'm so glad you're doing this with us! Thanks for sharing about your verse--that's my favorite thing--reading WHY a particular verse stands out to whoever is learning it.